What is fear of public speaking?
The word glossophobia comes from the Greek ???ssa glossa, meaning tongue, and f?ß?? phobos, fear or dread.
Glossophobia is the technical term given to a severe anxiety to speaking in public. individuals who suffer from glossophobia often freeze when they are confronted with an audience, even if this means a couple of people listening and giving the person their attention.
If you suffer from glossophobia you avoid any possible opportunity to speak in public.
Symptoms of glossophobia, also known as fear of public speaking, include:
- Intense anxiety prior, or simply at the thought of having to talk to people.
- avoidance of situations in which the focus is on the individuals attending this meeting
- Physical distress nausea, or feeling panic in such circumstances.
- Dry mouth, weak voice and some people even start to shake.
- Sweating, Blushing and increased heart rate.
In the end this results in confirmed and affirming your fears due to the fact that you are unable to perform and thus adding fuel to your anxiety
Around 75 percent of the people suffer in one way or another from anxiety related to speaking in public. many would choose to go to extreme length and squander amazing opportunities in order to make sure that they do not have to speak in public.